University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Ph.D., Professor of English
The Alternate Vision: Renunciation in the Novels of George Eliot and Thomas Hardy (1970)
- the Victorians
- literary modernism (J. Joyce, E. Pound, S. Beckett)
Courses: Victorian novel; Popular literature; The Body in Literature; Mapping the Victorian city; Beckett's Work; Joyce's Work; Literary Biography.
Lecture courses in England, Israel, Italy, China, Germany, Monaco, Ireland, the U.S., Canada.
- "Ezra Pound’s Global Poetics." Literature of the Americas 7 (2019): 202-224.
- “Oriental Bloomsbury.” Modernist Cultures. Special Issue on Global Modernism 13.1 (2018): 14–32.
- “Mansfield, Movement and Dance,” Katherine Mansfield Annual, ed. Gayla Diment, Gerri Kimber, et al, 2017: 89-106.
- “Laughter in Jerusalem: Eichmann, Brecht and Arendt.” Clio 45:3 (2017): 335–354.
- “Beckett, Proust and the Darkroom,” Journal of Modern Literature 40: 4 (Summer 2017): 51-61.
- “Father and Daughter, Leslie Stephen and Virginia Woolf,” Journal of English Language and Literature, 62: 2 (June 2016): 177-94.
- “The Ethics of Transformative Texts,” Foreign Literature Studies, 38:4 (2016): 7-14. Wuhan University, China.
- “Oriental Woolf,” Affirmations: of the Modern (Australia). 4:1 (2016): 65-91. Special issue on transnational modernisms.
- “‘Count Me In,’ Comedy in Dracula,” Victorian Literary Cultures, Studies in Textual Subversion, ed. Kenneth Womack and James M. Decker. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. Press, 2016, 129-152.
- “Roth @25: Publishing Goodbye, Columbus,” Roth After 80, ed. David Gooblar and Aimee Pozorski. Lanham, MD: Lexington, Books, 2016. 19-27.
- “The Bloomsbury Short Story,” Fudan Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences. 10.1 (2016): 5-19. Fudan University, Shanghai, China.
- “Copyright , Empire and The Politics of Print,” Topia 93 (2015): 29-51.
- “White Rain: 9/11 and American Fiction,” Canadian Review of American Studies, 45.2 (2015): 125-48.
- “Apollinaire/ Stein/ Picasso,” Journal of English Language and Literature, 61 (June 2015): 173-191.
- “‘The Nature of Fun’: The Late Essays of David Foster Wallace,” David Foster Wallace, Critical Insights, ed. Philip Coleman. Amenia, NY: Grey House, 2015. 209-20.
- “The Fingerprint or The Photograph? The Fiction of Biographical Facts,” English Language and Literature 60.1 (2014) 59-76.
- “Ezra Pound and MI 5,” Paideuma 40 (2013): 327-47.
- “Philip Roth and Film,” Roth and Celebrity, ed. Aimee Pozorski. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2012. 47-66.
- “Boxing with Brecht: David Mamet and Bertolt Brecht,” Journal of Dramatic theory and Criticism, XXVI (2011): 103-24.
Cathay: Ezra Pound's Orient. China: Penguin, 2015.
Modernism's Second Act, A Cultural Narrative. New York: Palgrave, 2013.
A Critical Companion to Philip Roth. NY: Facts on File, 2011.
Ezra Pound in Context. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010, ed.
Leon Uris: Life of a Best Seller. Texas: U of Texas Press, 2010.
David Mamet, A Life in the Theatre. NY: Palgrave, 2008; UK: Methuen, 2008.
The Cambridge Introduction to Ezra Pound. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2007.
Pound, Ezra. Early Writings, Poems and Prose. New York: Penguin, 2005, ed.
Joyce and His Publishers. Dublin: National Library of Ireland, 2005.
Ezra Pound, A Literary Life. London: Palgrave, 2004.
Double Act, A Life of Tom Stoppard. London: Methuen, 2002; New York: St. Martin’s, 2002.
The Cambridge Companion to Ezra Pound. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ, Press, 1999, ed.
Various Positions, A Life of Leonard Cohen. Toronto: Random House, 1996; New York: Pantheon, 1996.
Leonard Cohen, His Life as Art. Downsview, ON: ECW Press, 1994.
Pound, Ezra. The Letters of Ezra Pound to Alice Corbin Henderson. Austin: Univ. of Texas Press, 1993, ed.
Joyce and the Jews, Culture and Texts. London: Macmillan, 1989.
Biography: Fiction, Fact & Form. London: Macmillan, 1984.
The Ezra Pound Society
- Distinguished University Scholar, University of British Columbia;
- Times of London top seven best books in theater and film for David Mamet: A Life in the Theatre (2008);
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (1996);
- UBC Medal for Canadian Biography (1996);
- Killiam Faculty Research Fellowship (1994);
- Killiam Research Prize (1992).